Saturday, April 7, 2007

"It's Good To Be The Boss"

How it feels to be a boss???

The other day, I walked out of the office at 4PM. Someone from another department saw me leave and said, "It's Good To Be The Boss." I smiled and kept going. I work longer and harder than anyone in my department. I get more done than most of my peers. My own boss recognizes and appreciates my work.
So I see no need to tell the person who made the comment that my day started with a phone call to Europe at 7AM or that I worked through lunch because my boss was injured and asked me at 11:30 to handle his meeting with a client at 1PM. Nor does that person need to know that after making a pickup that must be done before 4PM, that I will be working from my home office for another 3-4 hours. Yes, it is good to be the boss, but not for the reason that person thought (getting to leave early), but because I love what I do.
Each of us has to decide whether being the boss is for us. See "Is Management For Me?"
I love this work because I get to make a difference...
"You have to make a difference. The group you manage has to be more effective, more productive with you there than they would be if you were not. If they are as productive without you, there is no business sense in keeping you on the payroll. "
I lead a team that works hard every day to do things better and to make our customers happy..
I'm helping increase my company's EBITDA, which increases my income potential and the likelihood that this company will keep all its employees on the payroll.
Yes, it is good to be the boss, but sometimes those hours can be killers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be a boss in Nepal is only a game of so called sources and forces....anyways good article...keep it up

Google